Sunday, May 24, 2009

Merlin's last walk

Today we took Merlin for his last walk up the fell. Daddy Bear went to the vet to collect his ashes while I cooked us brunch, then we got the kids kitted out in 'getting muddy gear' and suitable footwear and we set off up the fell behind our house. It's part of the Pennine Way and we met a few hardy souls on the way up. The first part of the walk, the slog uphill, was accompanied by obligatory moaning and whingeing from the kids. We had to cajole and nearly bully them to press on past the sheep and cows (cows always freak me a bit when I've got the kids with me, especially if they have calves at foot as they do at this time of year). The livestock were very well-behaved though, and we managed the stiles and muddy, boggy bits with a minimum of fuss and made it to the top. It was breezy but warm on top of the fell, and the views as always were stunning. We stopped for a well-earned drink and some Hobnobs, and after that it was a lot easier to keep them going. We met a couple of guys with their lovely brown and white Border Collie and big sister told them all about what we were doing and pointed to Daddy Bear's backpack which contained Merlin's ashes. They were very sympathetic and I could see them sneaking glances at their own lovely pooch. I just know that they'll make the most of their dog while they have him.

As soon as our house came in sight we took the ashes out and checked the way the wind was blowing. As luck would have it the wind would carry Merlin down the fell in the direction of our house. Each of the kids had a handful or two, held it carefully then they let the ashes go as though they were setting a bird free. It really was a magical moment, and we said a silent 'Goodbye'. We saved some of the ashes for later in the walk and set off downhill to a little farm shop where the kids were rewarded with some melting moments biscuits. It was far from a sombre occasion, with plenty of laughter and horseplay, chatting to some piglets on the way. We headed for the bridge near the village and again the kids each had a handful to throw off the bridge. It didn't go quite so smoothly this time as there must have been an updraft from the river and the cars going past. Daddy Bear sprinkled Merlin over the edge and inevitably some of the ash came up to get us in the eye. Just Merlin's little joke. We laughed heartily and sent him on his way downstream. So now he'll always be there when we cross the bridge and walk along the river, and on top of the fell. And we saved some to bury in the garden so he'll always be here too. 

 I sometimes catch sight of him out of the corner of my eye while I'm busy around the house, and if I walk into a room I expect to see him lying there waiting for me, lifting his head to greet me. I find my memories of him outside are usually of his back end trotting off in front, as that was his favourite way. Following from the front, as I put it. When I popped into town I saw a familiar back end, another leggy, lean black Labrador. I thought it would make me sad to see another Labrador, but it doesn't. It's not Merlin. I don't begrudge anyone their lovely dogs. I just hope they'll always treasure them, as we did ours.

1 comments:

Diane 10:56 AM  

Hi ducks,

I'm sure you have seen him. He was so much a part of your family and that won't ever change. Love never dies.

He had a wonderful send off.

Diane

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP