Monday, July 21, 2008

That was then, this is now

I've been thinking a lot lately about the way I parent. I'm a big fan of Faber and Mazlish mainly because, when I read this book for the first time, I was struck by how much of it I was already doing instinctively, yet there was still a lot to learn about parenting in a positive way. I think I occasionaly approach TCS (Taking Children Seriously) but it's mostly a combination of relaxed parenting and my own particular spin of respect and compassion. With a dollop of Cesar Millan too:-) It works for dogs, but it also seems to work for children, especially when I remember to do the exercise part. I can't manage the four-hour hikes that Cesar does every morning, but we get fresh air and pack migration as often as possible. I digress.
What I was mostly thinking is that doing it this way demands a lot of energy and effort from me. And a lot of tolerance, patience, compassion, thought and negotiation. I should apply for a job a the UN. It'd be a breeze. The other day I had picked up a big bag of bird seed from the garden centre and the girls and I went through a whole long rigmarole of which child gets to sit where in the car. Although I was quite pleased at how I handled it and got the girls to agree on a workable solution, part of me was screaming ' Why shouldn't I just do it the way my parents did it?' You probably know what I mean. It would have been a case of 'Right! You sit there and you sit there. And shut up!' Never did me any harm, I thought to myself. Then I gave myself a chance to reflect on that thought. Actually it did do a lot of harm. It set my brother and me against each other. While our parents were around we were nominally obedient. Out of sight of my parents he was quite sadistic towards me. I can see now how obvious it is that that would happen. If you repress children and give them no say in their life then they are going to react against it in the only way they know how, which is to repress someone else in their turn. I truly believe that is how bullying happens in schools too. This kind of parenting also allows children no way of learning how to be anything but dependant and helpless and that sets up endless internal conflicts on reaching adulthood. My kids are lively and noisy and bolshy, but I'm almost certain that they are not mean or spiteful or sneaky with each other because they don't have to be. They get to work out how things should be in front of me. And I hope they realise that all feelings are acceptable, but that some actions aren't. And that it is possible to work things out in a way that respects everyone's needs as far as is workable.

3 comments:

Mieke 10:54 AM  

Yeah, Cesar really is the icing on the cake of parenting, isn't he? IMO not only parenting, but human communications in general. But hey, you already knew I'm a big fan of the Great Pack Leader :).
I don't think my children are not mean or spiteful with each other, because they are at times(still less than other children, of course;)). But when they are, they are not sneaky about it. At least, not as far as I know. But nowadays they're not always in front of me anymore, so I'll just have to trust them on that one.
And I'm afraid I have to admit I still do the old 'shut up and listen to me' every now and then. Especially if they get too lost in their conflicts and are only arguing for argument's sake. Then I want them to listen to me and once they're listening I'll try and get them to listen to each other.
We had a situation like that the other day, with lots of emotions involved, and before I was aware of the whole thing it had escalated to a level 10 (to use one of Cesar's phrases). So I stepped in with a loud 'shut up everybody' and slowly but surely managed to work our way down to a level 2 or 3 (any lower is quite exceptional in our house). I was really chuffed with myself when the whole thing ended with a proper agreement and mutual understanding.
But that's when I'm not involved emotionally. If I am, I find it a whole lot harder to be sensible and patient and communicative...

slingmumma 6:16 PM  

Hi Liz,
It is alluring because we think it's easier to say "shut up and just do as I say!" but in actual fact, when we do it it is as much strife, if not more ... no learning or growth ensues and we make no progress that is an investment for the future. Often we don't get anywhere, and we also model how not to be towards others ... and that's what they take into their sibling relationships! Little effort goes into those methods and little is got out of them, unless you really have enforced obedience well in hand (though I think you would have to resort of serious levels of fear, force or guilt ... and some of our parents did ... or just a level of robotic consistency since birth ... supernanny style!)
I know this because I keep slipping into it, and thinking ... if only I'd thought to do it a better way to begin with ... then I wouldn't have all this fall out to deal with for days and days afterwards.
For me, it is regression ... I slip back into what are brainless, knee jerk methods that come so easily because they are so familiar! Gradually, however, I am finding the good stuff emerging accidentally too, in everyday situations.
I'm hoping the good stuff will eventually become my kids' knee jerk parenting.
Meanwhile, I just keep reminding myself it's in my immediate, short term interests to stay calm (alla David Burns' for and against check list for angry responses) be helpful and let them work it out themselves.
Baby steps!

slingmumma 6:23 PM  

Rereading my comment I wanted to edit this bit: "Gradually, however, I am finding the good stuff emerging accidentally too, in everyday situations." as I think I haven't appeared to give myself due credit for lots of good stuff that came easily already. What I wanted to say was "Gradually, I am finding the good stuff emerging accidentally, in everyday stressful/difficult situations."
Before I used to be trying to fit the 'good' (more intelligent, more thoughtful) stuff into those times when things were calm and sweet parenting comes more easily.
Now it is sometimes there in my knee jerks. So this is progress!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP